Ayes won over the nayes
The House of Representatives (HoR) adopted the proposed individual amendments to the death penalty bill – removing plunder, rape and treason from the death penalty bill. HoR approved through viva voce voting this amendment to the bill.
With these changes, the punishable offenses covered by the measure has been trimmed down to just drug-related offenses. The drug-related offenses punishable by death include the following:
- importation of dangerous drugs and/or controlled precursors and essential chemicals;
- sale, trading, administration, dispensation, delivery, distribution and transportation of dangerous drugs and/or controlled precursor and essential chemicals;
- maintenance of a den, dive or resort where any dangerous drug is used or sold in any form;
- manufacture of dangerous drugs and/or controlled precursors and essential chemical; possession of dangerous drugs;
- cultivation or culture of plants classified as dangerous drugs or are sources thereof;
- unlawful prescription of dangerous drugs;
- criminal liability of a public officer or employee for misappropriation, misapplication or failure to account for the confiscated, seized and/or surrendered dangerous drugs, plant sources of dangerous drugs, controlled precursors and essential chemicals, instruments/ paraphernalia and/or laboratory equipment including the proceeds or properties obtained from the unlawful act committed.
The bill will be put to a vote on second reading today, March 1.BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS