Here is a recap of what the 17th Congress has accomplished so far
Before the sine die adjournment of the First Regular Session of the 17th Congress, four measures have been enacted into law which are: Republic Act 10923, postponing the October 2016 Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan Elections; RA 10924 or the General Appropriations Act of 2017; RA 10925, renewing for another 25 years the franchise granted to Republic Broadcasting System, Inc., presently known as GMA Network, Inc.; and RA 10926, extending for another 25 years the franchise granted to Smart Communications, Inc. (Formerly Smart Information Technologies, Inc.).
Seven measures, on the other hand, have passed the bicameral process. These are 1) Amendments to the Revised Penal Code; 2) Free Internet Access In Public Places; 3) Free Higher Education For All Act; 4) Prohibiting The Demand Of Deposits Or Advanced Payments in Hospitals for Emergency Cases; 5) Philippine Passport Act; 6) Extending the Validity Period of Driver’s Licenses; and the 7) amendments to the AMLA. Moreover, these bills are now awaiting the President’s signature for enactment.
Meanwhile, pending at the bicameral committee is the bill on Occupational Safety And Health Standards.
Separately, each chamber has passed its own set of priority bills on third and final reading.
In the Senate, these measures are the following:
- Philippine Tech-Voc Day
- Speech Language Pathology Act of 2016
- Teachers Supply Allowance Act of 2016
- PNP Reorganization Act
- Shield Law
- Philippine Food Technology Act of 2016
- Sagip Saka Act
- Expanded Maternity Leave Law of 2017
- Mental Health Act of 2017
- Philippine Innovation Act
- Telecommuting Act of 2017
- Tulong-Trabaho Act
- NIPAS Act
- Agricultural Free Patent Reform Act
While in the House of Representatives, the measures are:
- Imposition of Death Penalty
- Tax Reform for Acceleration and Inclusion (TRAIN)” Bill
- Agrarian and Agricultural Loan Restructuring and Condonation Act
- Community Service in lieu of imprisonment for the penalty of arresto menor
- Declaring January 23 of every year a special working holiday in the entire country to commemorate the declaration of the First Philippine Republic
- Stricter penalties on the crime of delivering prisoners from jail and infidelity in the custody of prisoners.
The 17th Congress Second Regular Session will open on July 24, 2017.